Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Same But Different: Winter Peggy for Sasayaki Glitter (With Video)



It’s been rather cold and snowy here in Southern Finland recently. Which is why it seemed like a good time to share my cards made with the Winter Peggy digi stamp from Sasayaki Glitter. I made a video of the process to share on both my YouTube channel and the Sasayaki Glitter channel.
I started by printing the Winter Peggy digi stamp onto some alcohol marker friendly paper. I printed her out twice. One image was printed onto a card front sized panel for creating a one layer card, and the second was on a smaller panel to be fussy cut.
I then started working on colouring in both images. I used  Spectrum Noir Illustrator markers and Yosoo alcohol markers. I started by colouring her skin, then moved on to her hair. I coloured both images at the same time and using the same colours.
I decided to use blues for Peggy’s scarf, hat and tights. I went with dark brown for the boots to balance the dark brown of her hair. I chose light caramel tones for her coat with a little pink heart, and dark green for her dress. Finally I added some shade and dimension to the bobble on her hat with a light grey marker.
At this point the directions of the two cards diverged. For my one layer card I took The Crafter’s Workshop’s TCW252 Stencil Aspen Trees and used washi tape to hold it in place over my panel, after masking off a hill in the lower portion of the card. I then used my alcohol markers to colour in the stencil.
After removing the stencil I took a gel pen to draw back in some of the finer branches of the design that had got a bit lost in my colouring. I then took my light grey marker and used it to add shade and definition to the snow hill, the trees, and also as a case shadow beneath her feet. I used my blender pen to soften out the grey.
The final step was to add the sentiment. I used Simon Says Stamp Barely Beige Ink to add a sentiment from The Cat’s Pajamas Penguin Christmas into the empty area of the snow.
The design for the second card is almost identical, but with a different approach to get to it. Instead of using masking and stencilling to create a one layer card I used a birch/aspen tree patterned paper to cover my card base. I then added a die cut white hill over the top. I stamped the same sentiment into place on the hill, and adhered the fussy cut Winter Peggy image onto the card.
I really had fun creating these same-but-different cards. It was quite a coincidence that I had a patterned paper that so well matched the stencil to give that same look to the scene. I’m not sure which card I prefer… I do enjoy making one layer cards, but I also like the neatness of the patterned paper card. Which do you like best?
Love,